Wednesday, December 9, 2009

Mission Tradition: BrightWing

This year the Christmas season is fun. Having an almost 4 year old brings so much magic to this season that I don't ever want her to grow up from this stage. We put the tree up last week and she helped pull all of my old ornaments out of the boxes and we talked about each one. We compared my very first Christmas ornament from 1979 to her very first ornament from 2006. She hung the ornaments in the exact spots where she felt they belonged. Raggedy Ann and Andy needed to share a branch (of course) and the wooden Santa, painted by my grandma, needed a branch all to himself. We talked about the special Woodpeckers that are hung in memory of Brent's cousin Travis and the single ornament that reminds me of my grandma. She loved every minute of it and so did I.

After we were done putting the ornaments on the tree, I remembered that I put away all of our holiday books at the end of the season last year. Knowing that Mallory would get a kick out of a bunch of "new" books, I waited until just the right time to pull them out. She headed to preschool Tuesday morning and I started my mission for the day. My mission for a new tradition. My mind was spinning and I was so excited. I headed to Kohl's and picked up the book "If You Take a Mouse to the Movies" This is Laura's Mouse book on Christmas. If you have never read any of Laura Numeroffs classics, you should head over to the nearest Kohl's, pick up a few (since they are only $5.00), and give them to the child in your life. I came home with the new Christmas book, wrapped it, and put it under the tree next to the basket of the Christmas books from years past that I pulled out.

When we came home from preschool she immediately saw the basket of books and the newly wrapped present. She ran over and saw her name on it and asked if she could open it. I acted surprised asking who that present was from and together we wondered how the books got under our tree... The wrapped book contained this message: "Mallory here is a new book to start off the Christmas season. Thanks for being such a good little girl. Love Brightwing, Santa's book elf" Ok Ok, I know. If you don't have a three year old in your life you probably just rolled your eyes.

But you know what, I don't care.

Mallory believed; and that is all that matters. She was beyond amazed that Brightwing knew that her tree was up and that he came and put all the books out. She wondered how he got to her house, and she quickly said "I bet he rode on Dancer!" Then she ran to the deck to see if she could see hoof prints from the reindeer. She was in awe that he came on such a secret mission to deliver the books.

A week later, still talks about Brightwing. I have a feeling he will be making a visit to our house a few days after we set up our Christmas tree for many more years to come. As long as they believe I will watch in amazement at my two miracles enjoying the Christmas season...

1 comment:

Sarah said...

Nice work, Mama :) That a so, incredibly sweet!